Three easy ways to request a withdrawal

When it's time to pay college bills, you have three ways to make a withdrawal:
  1. Log on and click your account number.
  2. Select Asset Management and then scroll down to Make a Withdrawal.
  3. Enter a withdrawal amount and specify who should receive the funds.
  4. Submit your request.
By U.S. mail:
  1. Download and print the Withdrawal Request Form.
  2. Complete all sections of the form and sign where indicated.
  3. Mail your completed form to:
    MOST--Missouri's 529 College Savings Plan
    P.O. Box 219212
    Kansas City, MO 64121-9212
By phone:
  1. Be sure to have your account, beneficiary, and school information (such as the school's address and student's ID number) ready when calling.
  2. Call 888-414-MOST (888-414-6678).

Important information about withdrawals

Please allow ten business days (plus mailing time, if applicable) for the funds to arrive.

Some colleges and universities now require a student identification number (ID) on withdrawal checks. If you request a withdrawal online, include the student ID in the "Memo" field. If you mail your request, include the student ID in Section 3 of the Withdrawal Request Form. If this information is not included, it could delay the crediting of your tuition payment to your student's account. Also, be sure to factor mailing time into your planning.

All qualified withdrawals requested online or by phone may be sent to the account owner, the student beneficiary, or the school by check, or to the account owner electronically (if bank instructions are established on your account). If you're intending to add or change bank information, please factor in a 15-calendar-day verification period, during which assets can't be sent to the bank.

You don't have to pay federal or Missouri state income taxes on distributions from your account if the funds are used for qualified higher-education expenses. Earnings on nonqualified withdrawals may be subject to federal income tax and a 10% federal penalty tax, as well as state and local income taxes. The availability of tax or other benefits may be contingent on meeting other requirements. For additional information, consult a tax advisor.